Tuesday, 18 August 2020

Festivals

I am not a seasoned festie goer.  I am not one of those people who have been to every festival over 20 years. In fact my first festival experience was only 8 years ago where I went for the day and stayed in the local pub.  It was glorious and sunny but I was jealous of all of those people camping and knew I was hooked. I did meet up with a friend, or should I say former friend, and we hung out a bit but I really wanted to do my own thing which is why he is now former as I was accused of ignoring him.


I went to a couple of smaller one day events that just confirmed my love of folky things.  Local gigs around London cemented this.

My next festival was bigger and whilst I didn’t camp, I stayed in the local de Vere hotel that included a spa treatment the next day, I did go for two days and had the full squishy mud experience on day one followed by glorious sunshine the next.  I met up with people I knew, drank too much, danced in the rain and saw bands I had never heard of that are now firm favourites.  However, I had this nagging feeling that I was a festie fraud by going back to my nice little hotel room where I could shower the mud away and clean my boots.  There were reasons for this as I didn’t own a tent and couldn’t drive.  The only thing that marred the experience was constant work emails but hey.

Both of these would be rectified for the following year and my biggest challenge. I even bought myself a little tent, a tent a friend borrowed and declared would be too small for me.  I still have it but knew I would need a bigger one.

Roll on the following year and I booked my festie ticket and car park pass without having passed my test but to me that gave me the determination and incentive to pass.  I passed on the third attempt and then got road practice on my own.  I did my pass plus to gain motorway confidence, joined a car club and I was good to go.  Well once I had bought a load of camping gear including a new bigger tent.

Me being me I planned everything; time to get car, get up, pack car and do my first drive through Central London which was a big gulp moment.  I developed a mantra “be calm, be brave, be confident” which I said out loud as travelled down the unfamiliar roads to Devon. I got the little car I had been practicing in and did a test load in case I needed to hire a larger vehicle and performed car Tetris.  I could do it but would need every bit of space in the car including the front seat and passenger foot well.  I even set up my little tent in the garden.

I picked up the car on the Wednesday, parked outside the house and put all the camping stuff in the kitchen so I could make a quick getaway. I didn’t dare put things in the car in case someone decided to be opportunist and nick my stuff.
Chargers were charged, alarms were set, which didn’t really matter as I was too excited to sleep, and 4am found my quietly loading the car before the planned 5.30am set off.

So I drove and drove, had breakfast at Fleet services and relied on Ms Satnav until she tried to take me through Andover instead of staying on the A303 which is when I decided to ignore her until I reached the turning that would take me down to Ottery St Mary. I saw Stonehenge for first time as the open road stretched ahead of me and I sang and sang and felt free and more than a bit excited.

I did a slight detour into the village to drop off some craft supplies to a friend and with mission accomplished just after 11am I headed towards the festie site.  So much for thinking I would be early as I joined a line of traffic and slowly edged towards the festival entrance.

I parked up near the entrance, loaded up my little cart and got in line.  People were already getting very merry around me and we stood/sat and waited for the gates to open all desperate to get set up before the forecasted rain fell.  I did a lot of people watching and developed some serious kit envy as I saw people with heavyweight folding trucks with their gear piled high.  My little cart proved to be wholly inadequate as it happened and I ended up having to do 3 trips to the car on paths that were already a bit squelchy.

A huge cheer emerged from the front and we all started to move albeit slowly.  I went through the gate, got my wristband and being a total novice at this stopped at the first available blank patch of land to set up.

Despite doing a test run in the garden I realised I still didn’t have a clue. Luckily the people next to me gave me a helping hand in return for borrowing my electric air pump. Within a couple of hours my little weekend home was set up, complete with a flower garland around my door.  Just time to put my feet up, open the wine and look at the programme to see if there are any clashes before putting my tank top and fez on to find the infamous Dirty Davey’s with just a bit of trepidation as I didn’t know where I was going and knew no-one. I needn’t have worried since a tank top and fez seemed to be the calling card for lots of strangers to talk to you.

This is when I realised just how far away I had camped from all the activity. Great being close to the entrance and by a path so I could find my tent, not so good having a long way to walk after the music. Hmmm food for thought for next time.

The site was MASSIVE particularly when compared to the little festie’s I had attended before.  Thursday at this festival is all about setting up and settling in before the music starts on the Friday. I had a few pints, chatted, laughed, and met the infamous Scott Doonican whilst wearing one of his original tank tops and as dusk fell explored more.  This is when I found the Tiny Tea Tent, the perfect place for a cuppa in front of a roaring fire, at the top of the hill.  From here you could see the entire site. Wow, overwhelmed or what but nonetheless still very excited.  I met up with my neighbours but declined their offer of heading to the 3am rave and headed back to my bed once I found it.

Surprisingly enough I slept well and woke up early the next morning whilst most of the camp were still asleep and went for a wander through the dew.  I sat outside my tent as the sun rose and brewed a coffee on my little camping stove, watched the world wake up and listened to birdsong. Despite being surrounded by 15,000 people I felt peaceful. I didn't quite go as far as hugging a tree but I took a few pics of some that were rather beautiful.

There was very little signal on site but that was no bad thing though. I had purposely left my work phone in the glove compartment in case of emergency.  I only checked it when I went back to the hire car every day to check my little chariot was all safe and secure.

I had a wet wipe wash, brushed my teeth, got dressed and wandered down to the arena area and had a flipping good time.  I met up with some familiar faces that I had seen at other festivals and had a catch up and just hung out.  The sun was blazing, I listened to bands I knew and others I didn’t, I had my face painted and got the obligatory henna tattoo and all was good in the world.

Saturday was pretty much the same apart from the fact I used my little solar shower to wash my hair as the one thing I had forgotten was the dry shampoo. I must have looked a sight in my wellies, pack a mac and nighty but it did the job.  I did wake up to find another tent right outside my front door – next time will use windbreaks to stake out my patch like other people did.  The weather was goodish in the morning until the heavens decided to open and things got a bit messy mid afternoon.

Very messy. I went back to my tent that night realised that I needed a bigger tent, i.e. one I could stand up in.  Trying to get out of wet outer clothes when you can’t stand up and don’t have much space is bloody difficult. I was so paranoid of waking up swimming in my tent that I put all electrics in several bags and slept under a giant umbrella which I bought in case in emergency.

Needless to say I didn’t sleep much as the rain didn’t stop. When I ventured outside in the morning I was met with the inevitable field of mud and a load of campers packing up. What to do next eh.  I really wanted to stay but the weather report was not good and I dreaded to think how the heck I would get out of the car park.  I decided to take a few things back to car to assess the damage and that was even worse.  It was no good, I couldn’t risk being stranded so with heavy heart I made the decision to pack up, go home and miss the last night.  I was gutted but had to let head overrule heart.


Lots of trips back to the car cos my trolley was useless. Sat in the car, took off my wellies and over trousers and drove very carefully and slippily off site.

Before I hit Stonehenge the sun was out and I was already wishing I was back in that glorious field.  If I wasn’t so tired I would have turned back but I was tired so headed back home where I was met with sun in London and unpacked the car. 

I sat on the sofa with a glass of wine jealously looking at pictures from those who had stayed.

I vowed to return. I quickly remedied one issue and bought a bigger tent, a huge 5 person 2 bedroomed tent, big yes and all for me yes, but hey at least I would be able to stand up in it.

My next festie was a little local one and I took a friend who was desperate to go.  Sadly we never made it into the place as it rained and there was moaning that there was going to be nowhere to sit and eat the picnic he prepared.  We decamped to mine and ate and my friend went home as the sun shone in the garden and I again desperately wished I was in a local park dancing in mud listening to my fav folk band. I can’t say as I was too happy about it.

I sadly didn’t go to my fav festival the following year as I had been out of work and was unsure of funds, work, time off etc.  and watched it all from the sofa and was so gutted that I put the dates in my diary for this year as soon as I could.  I bought my ticket within seconds of them going on sale and I was good to go.  All good so far. Line up came out and was literally dancing around the office.

Roll on a year and I despite not driving I took a couple of practice lessons and drives and did the big debate about a car. The previous years car was going to be no good to me with a bigger tent. So I hired a bigger one that worked out cheaper than the smaller one.

I made the decision that I was going to go down earlier and extend my break.

The drive down was easy and I did a pitstop in Glastonbury before heading to the coast for fish and chips on the beach.

I had booked an air bnb in Honiton and arrived as the heavens opened. My little log cabin overlooked a paddock and I woke to the sound of horses neighing after a night of pelting rain

It was still early so I drove down to Sidmouth for a few supplies before heading back towards Ottery St Mary where I joined a long line of traffic to get in.  I didn’t care though cos I was nearly there.

This year I was armed not only with a better tent but a bigger trolley that was a pain in the ass to pull.

I didn’t camp where I did last time but found a great spot in a very easy to find place.  This was a difficult festival for me as I hadn’t seen or heard from one of my festie buddies for some time and was the last time I did see him.  So there were tears and there was a lot of rain but I survived to the end.  I slowly packed up on the Monday and gingerly edged through the mud in the car.

It was a long drive home but me and car made it back before next door helped me clean it before taking it back.  I had survived.

The following year was going to be different.  And it was for a start off I was involved in a car crash 3 days before I was due to go which nearly put paid to it all.  However, a lovely bloke foolishly offered me a lift in his camper van. I say foolishly, I bought a new tent with an awning and a proper bed so camper gear had increased yet again, so when he saw it all he must have wondered what the hell he was doing.

Anyway we drove down and he introduced me to new music and we drove down the M4, not my usual way but we were meeting friends of his south of Bristol to go in convoy.

The weather gods were good to us and we arrived on site and I slowly started moving my stuff to the tent field.  I chose a spot just inside the gate – but it was a different gate which was even closer to the music than the previous years.  Several trips later and help from a neighbouring tent and I was set up for a weekend of fun.

This year there were less tears and I did enjoy it.  I wasn’t looking out for people as a post on FB made it clear people weren’t going to be there. I bumped into lots of others I knew and it was great weekend. And new friends were made.  I packed up on the Monday and my trolley died so that got dumped in the rubbish.

Over for another year.

Last year I made it to the little local festival and took a first date there.  We had a giggle and although we stopped dating we are still mates.

Forward two months to August. Still no driving for me but my lift from the previous year offered and I said yes. I was more nervous as I had been rushed into hospital the previous month so had to be careful.  I was hoping they would put the camper vans in the same place so I could pitch where I was the previous year. Luckily the next field was only slightly further away  so I took my first trolley of stuff as I went in search of a perfect pitch. Didn’t manage the same spot but pretty damned close to it. I dumped off one lot of stuff and headed back by which time the rest of their party had arrived cos they bought everything down in one trip.  Back to putting a tent up solo again – this is always the worst part of it for me.  Within minutes a group of 3 people had stopped to help, turns out they were Oxfam volunteers and security had sent them to help. So I was set up in no time. I changed and headed down to Dirty Daveys for the usual Thursday night banter.  Met up with a friend I hadn’t seen for over 15 years and we got suitably merry, we even got chatted up by a bloke and his dad.  I pulled the younger one who I couldn’t get rid of.

Managed to catch the bands I wanted to on the Friday afternoon before retreating to the tent for a tea time nap by which time it was pissing down and I promptly fell outside the tent resulting in a visit to the medical cabins so that was the end of Friday.

Saturday was good but I stayed chatting near what had been the bandstand in previous years.  Watched a few bands in the evening on the main stage and all was alright in the world.

Sunday I got stupidly drunk in the afternoon in the glorious hot weather so went back to my tent and stayed there in a tearful mess to sleep it off, the downside to not driving is that you can keep drinking.

It was an odd festival.  I fell over a few times got chatted up, had a fling and then got hideously upset about life. Saw lots of people I knew though which always make these things fun. Thanks to my hangover the journey back was even more subdued than the usual end of festival downer.

In the past I have always liked going to these things alone for a number of reasons.

1.      I can do what I like when I like and how I like
2.      I can be as organised or disorganised as I want
3.      This is my one piddley little holiday and I can do what I want without having to compromise and think about other people
4.      I can sit in my tent all day if I want, okay I don’t want but the point is I can, or I can dance all night if I want, which I don’t want either
5.      I can buy what I want and I am answerable to no-one
6.      I can go and relax in the holistic area or just drink tea
7.      I can leave when I want
8.      And I feel free
9.      It took me a long time to embrace that I needed to recharge my batteries and this is how I do it.

This was me in the past where I have wandered around like a nomad but truth is I have been looking in envy at the small gatherings of friends and the couples just embracing the freedom of the festival.

This year was going to be different. This year I was going with J with no plans to see any particular band other than what he wanted to see. I was going to have the best of times.

I was going to introduce him to people I knew and smile so proudly that this gorgeous sexy man was mine as we approached our one year anniversary.

But thanks to covid no festival and thanks to my stupidity no us.

Not looking forward to this weekend.

Next year will be better, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment