I have found things a struggle lately on the job hunting front and as such have not been as proactive as I could have been as each knock back was having a negative effect on me
I believed what I was being told when agencies told me I was then best candidate it should put looking on hold before things fell flat and I would have to start again
I was looking daily on LinkedIn and I would message/email/text/WhatsApp people and hear nothing. These were people who had connected with me who knew me and it had an on impact on how I was feeling
I normally have a much thicker skin regarding looking for work but so much time out has made me nervous especially as my attitude to work has changed
I could have happily carried on the way I was with J in Wales but one of us has to earn money and even though the way I left was rubbish this is ultimately what I have to do and focus on if I want to achieve my vision board
So this week I had to focus
It’s been really hard to stay positive and I know my well being has suffered for it. Fed up of reaching out to contacts who have posted things on LinkedIn and getting nothing back this week I tried a different way.
However, before this happened on a Monday I spoke to someone who wasn’t a contact who told me I had left it too long (11 months) that my age was against me, that there were younger, brighter people out there and I should consider either shelf stacking in Tesco or go round the smaller agencies looking for reception work. To say I felt kicked in the stomach is an under statement.
I had a little cry, looked at my vision board of what I want in life and got back on the horse, as it were, as my focus was in place and I know what I want. I sent out 127 personalised emails to agency contacts over 3 days. From that I received 19 bounce backs/moved jobs/out of office, 18 emails thanking me, 7 calls offering me great advise and support, 1 application submitted as a result of one of those calls and nothing from the rest.
Those who haven’t responded will get a follow up next week and if there is nothing then I will put them on my B list and focus on the agencies who responded. I know it’s hard out there but it’s hard living in your own head when you aren’t achieving what you know you can.
No comments:
Post a Comment